Are you tired of trying to find more affordable GMC Sierra insurance in Stockton? No one in their right mind rejoices having to buy auto insurance, especially when they could find better prices if they shop around.
Unbelievably, the vast majority of drivers have bought auto insurance from the same company for four years or more, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. Stockton insurance shoppers can cut their rates by about 35% a year by just shopping around, but they just feel it’s too hard to find affordable insurance by shopping around.
Steps to finding cheaper rates for GMC Sierra insurance in Stockton
The best way to get the cheapest GMC Sierra insurance in Stockton is to do a yearly price comparison from different companies who sell insurance in California.
First, get a basic knowledge of how companies price auto insurance and the modifications you can make to prevent rate increases. Many things that cause rate increases like accidents, careless driving, and a poor credit rating can be eliminated by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
Second, compare prices from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from multiple companies. Compare rates
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available. If you can save money, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
An important note is that you use the same deductibles and limits on every quote request and and to get rates from as many car insurance companies as possible. This ensures a fair price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Insurance companies such as GEICO and Progressive all claim big savings with advertising and it can be hard to ignore the flashy ads and find the best price available.
Why You Might Pay Lower Rates in Stockton
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that aid in calculating your premiums. If you understand what determines base rates, this enables you to make decisions that can help you get big savings.
- Costs and your address – Residing in a rural area is a positive aspect when buying insurance. Lower population translates into fewer accident claims as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Urban drivers have to deal with traffic congestion and more severe claims. Spending more time driving means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
- What’s your car’s crash test rating? – Cars with five star safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Vehicles built for safety protect occupants better and any reduction in injury severity translates into savings for insurance companies and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your GMC is rated at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you may be receiving a better rate.
- What are your deductibles? – Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be a broken side mirror, hail damage, or theft. The deductibles you choose define how much you are required to pay if a covered claim is submitted. The higher the amount you’re willing to pay, the less your insurance will be.
- Premiums may be lower depending on your occupation – Jobs like real estate brokers, architects, and stock brokers tend to have the highest average rates because of intense work requirements and long work days. Other jobs such as professors, students and homemakers pay the least.
Claims statistics for a GMC Sierra – Insurers factor in historical loss data as a way to help calculate a profitable premium price. Vehicles that have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will have a higher cost to insure.
The information below illustrates the historical loss data for GMC Sierra vehicles. For each coverage category, the claim amount for all vehicles, as an average, is considered to be 100. Values under 100 imply a favorable loss record, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate more frequent losses or an increased chance of a larger loss.
GMC Sierra Insurance Claim Statistics Specific GMC Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury GMC Sierra 1500 2WD 89 122 106 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD 97 86 79 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 87 99 132 69 69 89 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4WD 89 102 114 52 51 73 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 2WD 98 109 96 70 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4WD 78 85 89 65 56 94 GMC Sierra 2500 4WD 70 56 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 2WD 63 101 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 4WD 91 118 105 43 50 90 GMC Sierra 2500 Ext Cab 4WD 67 108 85 40 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4WD 85 128 121 35BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Finding a better price on auto insurance is not rocket science. The only thing you need to do is take a few minutes comparing rate quotes to find the company with cheaper Stockton auto insurance quotes.
Comparison shopping rate quotes online is easy and it makes it a waste of time to spend your day driving to all the different Stockton insurance agencies. Doing it all online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless your situation requires the professional advice that only a licensed agent can provide. It is possible with some companies compare the best prices online but have your policy serviced through an agent.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in California. If more than one company is shown, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
Rates and information analytics
The coverage information displayed below showcases different insurance costs for GMC Sierra models. Having insight into how auto insurance premiums are determined can be of help when making informed purchases.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$326||$672||$464||$28||$138||$1,628||$136|
|Sierra SL Extended Cab 2WD||$326||$672||$464||$28||$138||$1,628||$136|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$326||$672||$464||$28||$138||$1,628||$136|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$370||$792||$464||$28||$138||$1,792||$149|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$370||$792||$464||$28||$138||$1,792||$149|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$370||$792||$464||$28||$138||$1,792||$149|
|Sierra SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$370||$792||$464||$28||$138||$1,792||$149|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$370||$792||$464||$28||$138||$1,792||$149|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$370||$792||$464||$28||$138||$1,792||$149|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$370||$792||$464||$28||$138||$1,792||$149|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$370||$792||$464||$28||$138||$1,792||$149|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$370||$792||$464||$28||$138||$1,792||$149|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$412||$912||$464||$28||$138||$1,954||$163|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 2WD||$412||$912||$464||$28||$138||$1,954||$163|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 4WD||$412||$912||$464||$28||$138||$1,954||$163|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and safe-driver. Prices do not factor in specific Stockton garaging location which can revise premium rates noticeably.
How high should deductibles be?
When buying insurance, a common question is what deductibles to buy. The following tables determine the differences in premium rates between low and high comp and collision deductibles. The first data table uses a $100 comprehensive and collision deductible and the second price chart uses a $500 deductible.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$380||$686||$442||$26||$132||$1,691||$141|
|Sierra SL Extended Cab 2WD||$380||$686||$442||$26||$132||$1,691||$141|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$380||$686||$442||$26||$132||$1,691||$141|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$430||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,865||$155|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$430||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,865||$155|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$430||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,865||$155|
|Sierra SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$430||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,865||$155|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$430||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,865||$155|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$430||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,865||$155|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$430||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,865||$155|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$430||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,865||$155|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$430||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,865||$155|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$478||$932||$442||$26||$132||$2,035||$170|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 2WD||$478||$932||$442||$26||$132||$2,035||$170|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 4WD||$478||$932||$442||$26||$132||$2,035||$170|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$278||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,342||$112|
|Sierra SL Extended Cab 2WD||$278||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,342||$112|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$278||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,342||$112|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Sierra SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$348||$630||$442||$26||$132||$1,578||$132|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 2WD||$348||$630||$442||$26||$132||$1,578||$132|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 4WD||$348||$630||$442||$26||$132||$1,578||$132|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, and homeowner. Prices do not factor in specific location information which can impact insurance rates greatly.
We can derive from the above data that using a $100 deductible would cost the average driver about $33 more each month or $396 each year than buying the higher $500 deductible. Since you would pay $400 more out-of-pocket with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you tend to have at least 12 months between claim filings, you would save money if you choose the higher deductible.
Calculation for determining deductible levels
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$155|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||– $122|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$33|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 – $100):||$400|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$400 / $33|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||12 months|
An important sidenote is that raising deductibles means you will have to pay more out-of-pocket when you do file a claim. You need enough money in the bank in the event you have to pay more for the deductible.
Insurance premiums for males and females
The example below illustrates the comparison of GMC Sierra insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The prices are based on no accidents or driving violations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Difference between liability only and full coverage rates
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of GMC Sierra insurance costs with and without physical damage coverage. The prices are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no definitive formula of when to exclude physical damage insurance, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of full coverage is 10% or more of the vehicle’s replacement cost less your deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your GMC Sierra claim settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $6,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are paying more than $600 annually for physical damage coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some scenarios where buying only liability insurance is not advised. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should maintain full coverage.
Why car insurance is not optional
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a GMC in Stockton, insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, more than likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender may insure your GMC for a lot more money and require you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards not only your car but also your assets. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs incurred in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially with large liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays as much as $825 a year so it’s recommended you shop around at every renewal to save money.
GMC Sierra insurance discounts in Stockton
Companies offering auto insurance don’t necessarily list every discount very well, so the following is a list of both the well known as well as the least known discounts you could be receiving when you buy Stockton auto insurance online.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will qualify for a discount on a Stockton auto insurance quote.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – Not really a discount, but a handful of insurance companies may permit one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Participating in a class that teaches driver safety techniques may get you a small discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially when compared with drivers with a long claim history.
- Telematics Devices – Stockton drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to analyze driving manner through the use of a telematics system such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system might see lower rates if they are good drivers.
- Federal Employees – Active or former government employment can earn a discount up to 10% but check with your company.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed in the military can result in better rates.
- Homeowners Savings – Simply owning a home may trigger a policy discount on insurance since home ownership means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to use their safety belts can save a little on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Bundled Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same company you could get a discount of nearly 15% which can help you find affordable GMC Sierra insurance rates in Stockton.
As a footnote on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. If you do the math and it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, that’s just not realistic.
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of GMC Sierra premium costs with and without policy discounts. The rate quotes are based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, California state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, marriage, multi-car, safe-driver, homeowner, and claim-free discounts applied.
If you would like to view insurers with discount rates in Stockton, click this link.
Local Stockton auto insurance agents and car insurance
A small number of people still like to get professional advice from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision Licensed agents are trained risk managers and help submit paperwork. One of the benefits of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get cheap car insurance quotes but also keep your business local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in Stockton that provide free Stockton auto insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. There is no reason to leave your house because prices are sent to you. If for some reason you want to compare rates from one company in particular, you just need to find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
Picking the best insurer shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. Any agent in Stockton should be willing to answer these questions.
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
If you need to find a local agent, there are a couple of different types of agents that you can select. Car insurance agents in Stockton are categorized either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either type can provide car insurance policies, but it’s good to learn how they are different since it can impact your selection of an agent.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents work for only one company like AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. They are unable to shop your coverage around so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents receive extensive training on the products they sell which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below are Stockton exclusive insurance agents that are able to give price quote information.
Agents of this type are not locked into one company so as a result can place your coverage through many different car insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they find a lower price, your policy is moved internally which makes it simple for you. When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to get some free quotes from independent agents for the best price selection.
The following are Stockton independent agents willing to provide comparison quotes.
How to find a good California car insurance company
Insuring your vehicle with a highly-rated insurer can be a challenge considering how many companies sell coverage in California. The company rank data listed below may help you pick which auto insurance companies you want to consider when shopping your coverage around.
Top 10 Stockton Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
What insurance coverages do I need?
When selecting insurance from an agent or online for your personal vehicles, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
These are some specific questions can help discover whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
Be persistent to save money
We just showed you a lot of tips how to save on GMC Sierra insurance in Stockton. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting affordable Stockton auto insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest rates are with a small mutual company.
People leave their current company for a number of reasons such as lack of trust in their agent, not issuing a premium refund, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and even policy cancellation. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right insurance provider can be less work than you think.
As you quote Stockton auto insurance, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, drivers have reduced full coverage only to regret they didn’t have enough coverage. Your goal should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
How to buy low-cost GMC Sierra insurance in Stockton
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get affordable auto insurance rates is to regularly compare quotes from different companies that sell auto insurance in Stockton. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
Step 1: It will benefit you to learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the modifications you can make to keep rates in check. Many rating factors that drive up the price such as your driving record and poor credit history can be amended by paying attention to minor details.
Step 2: Quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide prices from multiple insurance companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you can save money and change companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
The key aspect of shopping around is that you use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every quote and to quote with every company you can. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and the best rate selection.
Additional information can be read below:
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota RAV4 in Stockton? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates with Multiple Speeding Tickets in Stockton? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Stockton Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Company Car in Stockton? (FAQ)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)