Amazingly, a large majority of consumers have remained with the same car insurance company for four years or more, and approximately 40% of consumers have never shopped around. Many consumers in America could cut their rates by $860 a year by just shopping around, but they don’t believe the rate savings if they just switched companies.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to find more affordable auto insurance rates in Stockton is to regularly compare price quotes from different companies that insure vehicles in California. Prices can be compared by following these guidelines.
- First, spend a few minutes and learn about how your policy works and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that drive up the price like inattentive driving and poor credit can be rectified by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices for many different companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available in Stockton. If you find a lower rate and switch companies, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Fourth, give proper notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current policy. Submit a down payment along with a completed application to the new company. As soon as you receive it, store the certificate verifying proof of insurance with your vehicle’s registration.
A good piece of advice is to try to compare the same amount of coverage on each price quote and and to analyze as many carriers as you can. This helps ensure a fair rate comparison and the best price selection.
This article’s intent is to familiarize you with the most effective way to quote insurance and some tricks to saving. If you have insurance now, you should be able to get lower rates using these techniques. Smart shoppers just need to learn the fastest way to quote multiple rates on the web.
Car insurance rates and discounts
Not too many consumers would say car insurance is affordable, but you may be missing some discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Certain credits will be shown at the time you complete a quote, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, you are throwing money away.
- No Charge for an Accident – Not necessarily a discount, but some insurance companies will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don’t have any claims for a specific time period.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you can combine your home and auto policy with the same company you could get a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Paper-free Discount – A few larger online companies will give you a small discount for buying your policy on your computer.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could save 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Renewal Discounts – A few car insurance companies allow discounts for buying a new policy before your current coverage expires. It’s a savings of about 10%.
One last thing about discounts, most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Larger car insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are shown below.
- Progressive discounts include multi-vehicle, good student, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-policy, and online signing.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for pay in full, mature driver, multi-car, electronic funds transfer, good student, and distant student.
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for youthful driver, good student, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good driver, driver’s education, multiple autos, Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, and multiple policy.
- GEICO may have discounts that include defensive driver, daytime running lights, multi-policy, anti-theft, and multi-vehicle.
- SAFECO includes discounts for anti-lock brakes, homeowner, multi-car, drive less, bundle discounts, teen safe driver, and anti-theft.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for newly married, new move discount, new vehicle discount, preferred payment discount, and multi-policy.
When comparing rates, check with every insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in Stockton. If you would like to see a list of insurers that offer many of these discounts in Stockton, follow this link.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide comparison quotes in California. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
When to get advice from a local insurance agent
Certain consumers would prefer to buy from a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Professional insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and give you someone to call. One of the great benefits of comparing car insurance online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. Putting coverage with local agencies is still important in Stockton.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), the quote information is emailed to insurance agents in Stockton who want to provide quotes for your car insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. If you want to get a rate quote from a particular provider, you can always jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Two types of auto insurance agents
If you want to use a good insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents to choose from. Car insurance agents in Stockton are either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both do a good job, but it is a good idea to know how they are different since it can affect buying decisions.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents do not have single company limitations and that allows them to write policies amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. If your agent finds better pricing, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent.
When comparing rates, we recommend you compare prices from at a minimum one independent agency for the best price selection.
Below are Stockton independent insurance agents that may be able to give cheap rate quotes.
Brown and Brown Ins. Svcs. of CA Inc. DBA Debock and Muth Insurance Agency
1330 W Fremont St – Stockton, CA 95203 – (209) 465-5671 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only provide one company’s prices and some examples include State Farm or Allstate. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents are trained well on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Stockton that can give you rate quotes.
Finding the right insurance agency requires you to look at more than just the price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- How long have they been in business?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- Does their agency support local causes in Stockton?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
Auto insurance is an important decision
Despite the high cost, buying auto insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
First, the majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your vehicle with a loan, it’s most likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender will be forced to insure your Cadillac at a much higher rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
Third, insurance safeguards both your assets and your car. It will also cover all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if you cause an accident and are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your auto insurance policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays as much as $800 each year so it’s recommended you shop around at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
Auto insurance coverages
Knowing the specifics of your insurance policy aids in choosing the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring. Shown next are typical coverages available from insurance companies.
Insurance for medical payments – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for immediate expenses for things like chiropractic care, hospital visits, pain medications and X-ray expenses. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Collision coverage – Collision insurance covers damage to your XLR resulting from a collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against things such as hitting a parking meter, crashing into a building and scraping a guard rail. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to raise the deductible on your XLR in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Liability car insurance – This coverage protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property that is your fault. This coverage protects you from claims by other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show values of 15/30/5 that translate to $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Occasionally you may see one number which is a combined single limit which provides one coverage limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability can pay for claims like medical expenses, pain and suffering and emergency aid. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should consider buying better liability coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision) – This will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, damage from flooding and fire damage. The highest amount your insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance – This gives you protection when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family. Usually these coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Quote more and you will save more
We’ve covered many tips how you can lower your Cadillac XLR insurance rates in Stockton. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the lowest rates come from a smaller regional carrier. They may only write in your state and offer lower auto insurance rates than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
Lower-priced car insurance in Stockton is definitely available online and also from your neighborhood Stockton agents, so you need to shop Stockton car insurance with both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers may not have the ability to get quotes online and usually these regional insurance providers work with local independent agents.
When searching for cheaper Stockton car insurance quotes, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that the savings was not a smart move. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best cost while still protecting your assets.
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Handicapped Drivers in Stockton? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Stockton Car Insurance Rates for a Chevrolet Silverado? (FAQ)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)